Monday, October 16, 2006

The UCI Cardiff

Recently visiting the UCI to observe interaction with the amusement arcade. I reckon the place did the job well, literally as soon as entering into what seemed a small maze of loud mixed sound, music and flashing lights. I found myself quickly distracted from what I was there to do. I found it difficult to focus on anything but the products that where being presented. I interacted (played) with three of the arcade machines and found one particularly interesting.



The Outrun 2 arcade game, caught my attention as I remembered what this game used to look like back when I was about 13.
OutRun 2 stays true to the format laid down by the 1986 original, in which the player drives a Ferrari sports car with a young lady in the passenger seat through 5 of 15 stages. As before, the player can choose their course, and the soundtrack to which they drive.
From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OutRun_2

When sitting in the seat of the arcade machine I was presented with a metaphorical cockpit of a car I’m presuming is based on a Ferrari considering the game is heavily based upon this product. The main object of control being the steering wheel which provides a means of controlling the car plus navigation through menus, Under the steering wheel there are 2 pedals one to accelerate the car and another to brake. These pedals also represent a means of accelerate moving forward (accepting) and brake moving backwards (rejecting). These are then used to accept or reject the selected option’s presented through the interactive menus before starting the game. There is another optional control that will allow the player to use gears shift up and down, wheels act the same as the accelerate and brake pedals within the menu navigation.



The navigation menus provide an interesting selection, the first menu presented an option of difficulty, the second option for automatic or gears the third track or stage. The forth a selection of car and fifth a selection of music (first time I have ever seen this in an arcade game). The game itself has evolved over time as technology has progressed but the rules still remain the same. Put your money in, select your options and race against time with some hot blond chick in the passenger seat, obviously in a Ferrari. When your time runs out before you reach a checkpoint you’re asked if you would like to continue by popping a quid back in, the continue will count down usually from 10 to 0, if there is no credit inserted the machine will usually give a very loud game over (looser) voice over.

I think these products work well with the audience and seem to keep users engaged and to pop money continually. But I’m sure back when I was a kid with only the SAGA Mega drive available, these machines where much more popular.